There is no doubt that these are unprecedented times, with the COVID-19 outbreak and subsequent lock-downs this has caused worldwide. I am John Cawley the founder of Plant Based Life, I am 51 years old and I cannot remember a time when there was so much uncertainty in the World, especially in regards to Financial stress, health concerns and mental and emotional well-being.
But there are also huge opportunities here for personal growth and self improvement, and that is what I want to focus on with some advice on how to make the most of the current circumstances, here are my 8 tips on how to take advantage of being at home. if you are either working from home, in self isolation or have recently lost your regular employment;
- Practice Gratitude - Pause to give thanks for the various aspects of life with which you are blessed, (for example, the opportunity to spend more time at home with your family during the pandemic) , or you ability to move your body and do physical exercise. Start a Gratitude Journal and write down every morning 5 things you are grateful for.
- Implement Mindfulness Techniques, I cannot emphasise enough how this is the most important thing everyone can do right now. Regular Meditation & Breath work have been scientifically proven to improve health, immunity and calm the Central Nervous System. I do Transcendental Meditation and also the Wim Hof Method daily, but there are many other techniques you can choose to do, find methods that resonate deeply with you.
- The current situation is a reminder that we are vulnerable to illness and death. Although the death rate of this particular disease is considered relatively low, already thousands of people have lost their lives, with many more to come. Coming to grips with our impermanence is a powerful way to liberate ourselves from fear and live more fully.
- Use this time to do regular exercise and mindful movement, embrace a plant based lifestyle and focus on improving your nutrition. Implement daily healthy habits to boost immunity and your overall health.
- Take this time for deep self exploration, learn new skills, or start a blog or artistic project you have put off for some time.
- Build close connections with loved ones, both close family at home and family members who live further away. Use tools like Facebook, Skype, Whatsapp etc to stay in touch.Help and support elderly and disadvantaged members of your community as much as possible while also practising social distancing.
- Relax!, nothing is under control, this situation is a reminder that the only thing we have true control over is our response to situations. Everything else that happens is outside of our control, so try not to be overcome by constant negative news and media and focus on the positive changes you can make. Help others and try not to worry about things you have no control over.
- Keep playing uplifting and positive music, I could talk forever on the positive impact music has had on my life. I have also been a long time DJ and absolutely love music and it is the only true form of artistic expression that crosses all boundaries & unites people, my preference is Soul, Jazz, Funk etc, but choose music with a real conscious message and dance and move your body, express yourself :)